The Church of St' Elvan in Aberdare was built in 1851-52 and is in the "Victorian Gothic" style with a fine steeple and richly decorated and adorned interior. It has often been called the "cathedral of the valleys", and is visible from up and down the Dare valley, rising up over Aberdare town square. Our Bells were cast and hung in the tower in 1858, and were paid for by public subscription by the people and businesses of Aberdare town. They are a medium weight ring of 8 bells (16cwt Tenor), originally cast by George & Mears of the famous Whitechapel foundry. They were re-hung in a new frame and fittings in 1935 after a generous subscription by a congregation member. In 1981 the 4th bell was smashed due to a freak accident with a broken "stay" and was re-cast at Whitechapel, and re-hung with new fittings. The clapper of this bell failed in 2008 and was repaired by Nicholson bell engineers, and re-fitted by the local band.
They ring very well despite their age of installation and also the long draught which is off-set by a rope-guide in the ringing chamber. The steeple of the church is 180 feet high and still the most prominent feature of modern Aberdare town. There is a parapet at the top of the main tower which is reached with difficulty by ladders inside the Belfry.
The ringing chamber is well lit by the large stained glass West Window, and is reached by an unusual wrought & cast iron spiral staircase. The room is very large and can accommodate plenty of ringers and visitors.